Ag Resources

Center for Rural Affairs

Center for Rural Affairs, a private, non-profit organization based in Lyons, Nebraska, works to strengthen small businesses, family farms and ranches and rural communities. The CFRA website provides advice for beginners, introductions to farm transition and estate planning for retiring farmers, and links to resources for financing, work-in examples, high-value markets, and production information. CFRA staff advises new farmers, including women, military veterans and Latinos, on strategies to gain access to land, financing and the knowledge and skills needed to make a successful start. CFRA also works extensively with organizations and individuals on Farm Bill development and use of those programs. CFRA’s business program (REAP) provides advice and loans to small businesses in rural Nebraska, such as value-added agricultural enterprises and Main Street businesses.

Visit or call the Farm Bill Help Line at 402-687-2100.

Farm Credit Services of America

Farm Credit Services of America is a leading provider of loan, lease and risk management products, each customized to the unique needs of your growing business. We back these products and services with industry-leading tools to help with financial management and decision-making in your operation. And with our broad network of lending teams, your financing comes with expert advice and personal service.

Young & Beginning Loans: Growing your farm is a significant financial commitment and can be especially challenging for less-established producers. That’s why we’ve tailored a program for producers age 35 or younger, or with 10 years of experience or less, that matches our loan products with modified credit approval standards. This program helps get you the capital you need while you strengthen your financial position.

Development Fund: This program assists young and beginning producers who have a plan to start, grow or remain in agriculture by providing them with loans for working capital, breeding livestock, and contract backed finishing facilities. The program also includes business planning assistance, coaching, and education.

Learn more about our customer-owned lending cooperative at or call 800-884-FARM.

Legal Aid of Nebraska

The Farm and Ranch Program of Legal Aid of Nebraska works in collaboration with the Interchurch Ministries of Nebraska (IMN), the Nebraska Department of Agriculture’s Farm Mediation Service and Beginning Farmer Program (NDA) and other partners to provide a range of services to Nebraska farm and ranch families, including:

  • The Nebraska Farm Hotline (1-800-464-0258)
  • Full-time staff and on-call legal and financial consultants
  • Farm and Ranch Legal and Financial Clinics
  • Confidential, state-wide, monthly one-on-one financial and legal consultations
  • Estate and Transition Planning Workshops
  • Seasonal state-wide day-long workshops for farm and ranch families
  • Nebraska Counseling, Outreach, and Mental Health Therapy program (COMHT)
  • Vouchers for counseling from participating licensed mental health counselors
  • Ag Mentor Program
  • On-farm financial and legal consultations

Through this array of services, Legal Aid and its partners work with farm and ranch families in estate and transition planning, business organization, beginning farmer support programs, FSA loan and price support programs, cash flow analysis and preparation, debt structuring, financial distress transactions, agricultural security interests, real property and contract issues, water regulation and rights, and retirement, long-term care, consumer protection and elder law matters.

Click here: or call the Hotline at 1-800-464-0258.

Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA)

NextGen utilizes the Beginning Farmer Tax Credit Act to help new producers get a head start in farming and ranching while giving back to the farmers and ranchers who own agricultural assets. The program offers a refundable tax credit to the owner of agricultural assets who will lease to an eligible beginning farmer for a minimum of three years. The tax credit is equal to 10% of the cash rent or 15% of the value of the share crop rent each year for three years. The beginner receives a three-year lease, a personal property tax exemption for farm equipment and machinery and a tax credit reimbursement for the cost of a financial management course.

Click here: or call 402-471-4876.

Nebraska Investment Finance Authority (NIFA)

The Nebraska Investment Finance Authority provides Nebraskans a broad range of financial resources, including its Beginning Farmer/Rancher Development Program (BFRDP) for purchase of agricultural land, equipment/machinery, or breeding livestock. Working with banks, private seller-lenders (land contracts) or private investor lenders, the Program facilitates loans of up to $552,500 to be used in agricultural production for “beginning” farmers/ranchers who have not already owned substantial farm land and with a net worth not exceeding $500,000. The loans are below market rate due to NIFA making the interest income tax-exempt (both State and Federally) for the beginning farmer/rancher’s lender.

Click here for more information:  Beginning Farmer/Rancher Development Program

United State Department of Agriculture (USDA) – Farm Service Agency (FSA)

The Nebraska USDA Farm Service Agency is a customer-focused agency dedicated to achieving a sound future for Nebraska agriculture. There are FSA service centers located across the state of Nebraska, where staff are committed to providing quality customer service to beginning farmers and ranchers and ensuring their full access to all FSA programs and services. The ultimate benefit will be improved economic viability for family farmers and ranchers and the Nebraska economy as a whole.

FSA makes direct and guaranteed farm ownership (FO) and operating loans (OL) to family-size farmers and ranchers who cannot obtain commercial credit from a bank, Farm Credit System institution, or other lender. FSA loans can be used to purchase land, livestock, equipment, feed, seed and supplies. FSA loans also can be used to construct buildings or make farm improvements. FSA loans are often provided to beginning farmers who cannot qualify for conventional loans because they have insufficient financial resources.

FSA also implements a number of safety net and disaster programs, as authorized by the farm bill, that can be important to beginning farm and ranch operations. In some programs, special provisions are included for beginning farmers such as reduction or waiver of application costs or an increased level of financial assistance.

Click here: to learn more about the variety of FSA programs or take time to contact or visit your local FSA office. To find a USDA Service Center nearest you, go to

Skip to content